Volunteer with Your Therapy Dog
Are you and your therapy dog a good fit for the Nor’wester team?
1. Has your dog passed the CANINE GOOD CITIZEN test administered under the auspices of the American Kennel Club? More recently, therapy dog organizations are emphasizing the importance of obedience training and acquisition of the CGC certification. Therapy dogs are not just a friendly dog. They must also be obedient, well socialized, and under the control of the handler at all times.
2. Once your dog has achieved the CGC certification, you will then need to test with a governing therapy dog organization such as Alliance of Therapy Dogs or Bright & Beautiful. Please refer to our THERAPY DOG TESTING page for more specific information.
3. After you and your dog complete both the CGC and Therapy Dog certification, please submit all APPLICATION FORMS to us, including two xerox copies each of the three state required clearances: PA Child Abuse History Clearance (formerly ChildLine), PA State Police Report, and the FBI Fingerprint Report. All school districts now require volunteers to provide these security documentations.
4. After our organization has received all your paperwork, our director will set up an appointment to meet you and your dog in an unfamiliar environment to observe the dog’s demeanor and to meet you, the handler.
5. When you and your dog have been accepted to our program, a search will then be initiated for an appropriate class.
6. Once a class has been identified and all clearances are obtained, an orientation will be scheduled for you and your dog to meet the teacher. A Nor’wester Therapy Dogs Director An organization director or administrative staff member will conduct this meeting. and the At this time the teacher and handler will decide on a mutually convenient visit time.
7. An organization director or administrative staff member will accompany the new team to their first class. Support will be provided if necessary until the team is ready to solo.
New Team Coordinator: Debbie Glessner